This page was updated on October 14, 2021

The Yukon Water Board is an independent body established under the Waters Act and the Water Board Secretariat provides administrative support and works on the Board’s behalf.

Under the Yukon Waters Act, the Yukon Water Board issues water licences for various activities for the use of water and/or the deposit of waste to water. Our process promotes the balance of conservation, development and utilization of Yukon water for all Yukoners and Canadians.

There are many factors that are considered when determining if a water licence is required.

For a full list, please refer to the Waters Regulation schedules for each undertaking or contact the Yukon Water Board at 867-456-3980.

A few activities that may prompt a water licence are:

  • type of undertaking:
    • type of work proposed,
  • direct water use:
    • amount of water to be used,
  • indirect water use:
    • watercourse crossing,
    • whether there are watercourse training or diversion construction,
  • deposit of waste.

Please see Do I need a water licence page

We are here to help

Water applications usually include a significant amount of technical information. The Board has licensing officers and technical consultants to assist you through our process.